Sunday, April 24, 2016

My experience for Tata Institute of Social Sciences - M.A. HRM and LR Program



Always being interested in HR, TISS is the Mecca for HR in India. With all the wishes that I have behind me, I have been able to score well. I believe my experience might be able to help a few people, hence I share it here. I would love to hear from you, if this helps you in any way for your TISS preparation. Do write to me at marwahpalak1@gmail.com

I have also launched personalized, one on one FREE Live sessions on my page - https://www.facebook.com/procodeprep/
Like, Follow and Share for updates and early access for material!

TISS NET –

The pattern of the examination changed one week before the exam and was communicated in an orientation program conducted in TISS, Mumbai, held for category students. The official notification of the change in pattern was communicated over the website 3 days prior to the exam. The earlier pattern had 30/100 questions based on GK, while the new pattern had 40/100 questions based on GK. GK being my weakest section out of Quants, Verbal Ability and GK, this was a difficult change.

The preparation –
As I was preparing for CAT, TISS Quants and Verbal Ability was taken care of by this preparation. Ideally for Quants and Verbal Ability – Arun Sharma books’ Level of Difficulty 1 was sufficient, Level of Difficulty 2 would be a safe practice if you have sufficient time, this would make sure you score as high as possible in the final exam. For Logical Reasoning questions like patterns etc, you can also try RS Aggarwal. I tried only a few exercises from it because of its huge size, and paucity of time.

GK –
I was in the space where I could not name even the Vice President of India before the preparation, which is my sheer ignorance towards GK, as I have never been into quizzing since school. I started my TISSNET GK preparation only after XAT which was on 3rd January 2016, one week before TISSNET (9th January 2016). In the beginning the size of GK syllabus can be scary but if you keep going it works out, surely. After one week of 16 hours a day GK study, I could recite all PMs, Presidents, RBI governors, important battles, state wise folk dances and other things in one breath.

Material for GK –

1) I majorly referred Manorama yearbook (yeah finished the whole book in 6 days, still cant believe it). By mistake I had ordered Manorama 2014 instead of 2015, but static GK remains the same. Quite a few facts in Manorama are incorrect so you should keep checking it online or from other books.

2) Lucent for Static GK – Whichever topics were not there in Manorama or were incorrect, I referred those topics from Lucent.

3) The website – gktoday – they have monthly current affairs’ boosters, that is indeed helpful. You can also subscribe to their Whatsapp messages on GK

4) The website linked below– which has small MCQ sets on Quants, English, reasoning and GK – This was good for revision as I was only studying GK 1 week prior to the exam.

5) Bulls eye, CareerAnna and my coaching in Nagpur - HR Mentors have GK PDFs. I did not subscribe to any course for TISS, but some of my friends did, and shared their PDFs with me, which I will share on Dropbox and post the link below.

6) The whatsapp and facebook group were really helpful for GK. Most applicants from other MA fields are very well versed with GK and are kind enough to share their notes or conduct quiz sessions. These sessions are like a revision booster.

As ignorant as I was about GK, it is slightly difficult to cover everything in 1 week. Somehow the luck was in my favor and things worked out. If you are really serious about TISS, GK is the toughest and most vast section that you should prepare for as long as you can. Maths and English are really basic Class 10 questions.
  

TISSNET Exam day –

There were serious management issues with the exam. My exam started 2 hours later than scheduled time due to server error. After the exam started there were no classification of sections. The questions were listed one after the other, 1 to 100. This made it a little difficult to prioritize which section you want to solve first. Even though all Maths or all English questions are listed in one order, say 1 to 30 all Maths questions, there were still issues with the questions. Especially for DI, the graph or pie chart was listed, then 2 questions based on it were listed and after 4 or 5 questions the 3rd question on the same set was listed. As it is a 100 minute exam with 100 questions, each second counts. So it is important to stay alert and focused. Some of my friends said their test ended 5 minutes early automatically. So it is important you take a few mocks for the speed. Giving NMAT for non-negative, speed based exam is a good choice that is what I did. I will list the mocks’ links below.

GK and even other sections can be easier with some presence of mind. For example one GK question had a long statement based on economics, which was taken from a book and the question was which Nobel laureate said this. The options had all Indians. Among the options only Amartya Sen was a Nobel laureate in economics.

Interview preparation – After the shortlist, you are supposed to fill a DAF – Detailed Application Form, which lists your extra-curricular activities, reason for interest in HR and previous work experience in HR. I regularly read the website – peoplesmatters (they also have a FB page), for HR related current affairs.


Interview day –

You are supposed to report in the morning, the students of TISS HRM LR program give a brief presentation about the program which clears your doubts about it. The interview is very meticulously managed. The volunteers are really helpful and help you cool down in case you are nervous.
You are supposed to write a small essay on one out of 2 given topics in around 15 minutes. The topics for me were –

    1)    Justice delayed is justice denied
    2)    Aadhar card and how to implement it effectively (not the exact same words though)

I chose the first one because it was the topic of one of the debate competitions I had participated in, during school, and hence I had statistics and quotes on it.

After the written test, you need to participate in a GD. The group of around 15 people, is given 1 minute to mutually decide which topic they want the GD on. Luckily 8 to 9 people from my group wanted the 1st topic, so we went for the 1st one. We were given 20-25 minutes for the discussion.

Specific pointers for TISS GD –
    1)    Make sure you talk about the social and political impacts of the topic.

    2)    Make sure you give enough time to everyone to speak. One of the candidates in our GD did not speak a single word till only 5 minutes were left. The moderators then asked her if she had any opinions to contribute. As she had not spoken at all, we all let her speak for over 3 minutes continuously, due to which we could not formally conclude. Thankfully all of us were almost on a similar conclusion

    3)    TISS jury loves new points or examples from current affairs. One of the candidates talked about the Paris attacks and how quick justice was delivered, the jury liked it visibly.

    4)    In the GD and interview, do not make very strong opinions, especially if it is a social issue. You can humbly state your stand and give reasons for choosing the side that you have. Example over the JNU issue, do not stubbornly say that JNU students were right or wrong. But you can take a side and cite reasons for your choice.


The interview –

Dr. Zubin Mulla (apologies if I am spelling his name incorrectly) is quite a famous faculty of TISS MA HRM and LR Program. Many forums said that his interviews focus very specifically on “WHY HR?” and if you convince him with your reasons, you are through. I had Dr. Mulla in my panel.

There were 3 people in my panel. Dr. Mulla (P1), one sir (P2) and one mam (P3).
The mam was mostly observing and listening to my answers, she just asked one question at the last.

P1 – So introduce yourself

PM - My name is Palak, which literally means eyelashes but its contextually used in terms of swiftness or agility.I have epitomized my name by being a part of various activities in both school and at college. Currently I am in my final year of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering at NIT Nagpur. My interest in management stems from my diverse interactions. I was selected by Japan govt and MHRD India for JENESYS – An international youth exchange program to visit japan for 10 days. I have also represented India at HPAIR – A conference at Harvard University.

P1 – Okay. So if I want to make the best bell, what material should I use?

PM – Sir maybe Aluminium because it has better formability and low cost

P1 – You didn’t get my question. Best bell means that gives me the best sound. I do not care about the cost.

PM – tried with a few materials, he wasn’t satisfied

P1 – Do you not have a particular test for optimizing this property?

PM – Sir I can think about optimizing a set of properties but not sound singularly
(bad start, I know)

P1 – Okay, nevermind. So why HR?

PM – gave my reason

P1 – Do you read books on HR?

PM – Yes sir

P1 – which was the last book that you read? Brief me up about it.

PM – Sir, I am currently reading this book called “The Engagement Formula” by Ross Reck. It talks about how to maximize employee engagement, reduce attrition and improve employee satisfaction. It is based on case studies like the Southwest Airlines, which have been in the aviation industry that is an economically instable industry, yet this airlines has never faced a loss since its induction. They have this really interesting policy – they have never suspended a single employee, its their strict no lay off policy.

P1 – Is that the only reason behind their success?

PM – no sir, there are various others. All the employees contribute equally to the job. All the employees have a clear idea of the vision which is customer satisfaction.

P2 – So how would you use this in say Air India?

PM – Sir as this is based on a scenario in the US, it cannot be applied verbatim.

P2 – Then why did you read the book if it cant be applied in India?

PM – No sir, the book is explicitly for Indian readers, but what I mean is it cannot be applied as it is. It needs to be modified. For example, in Southwest, if there is a quick turnaround of the flight that is scheduled, even the pilots help in taking out the thrash. The ex-CEO was very commonly seen distributing doughnuts during midnight working hours especially on days like New Year’s Eve or Christmas. This kind of equality in job can be the first step to implement in Indian companies. Similar is the case of W.L.Gore and Associates, where no matter what your position is, you are named as an Associate only.

P2 – Okay, what if you want to apply this to say a fire station? That would be dangerous right?

(P1 asks me to pass the journal that I was carrying – It had the research paper that I had published in HR, and was bookmarked)
P1 – Let me see why are you carrying this?

PM- Sir do you want me to open the page

P1 – No, no, I will have a look.

PM –sorry sir, I was saying, no, rather this would work wonderfully for a fire station as all of them would be aware that extinguishing the fire is the prime motive

P2 – Then you want all of them to hold hoses and stand? Who will lead?

PM – Sir, as all of them would be aware of the motive, even if a few firemen are unavailable, the others would happily take their place. Also anyone who is available can lead and others will follow because they know some day they might have to lead. So it would be good team work.

P2 – Okay what did you do in this HR Internship at NItika that you have mentioned?

PM – Answered

P2 – What are the qualities of a good HR person and how do you fit in?

PM – Sir a good HR manager should be able to vary his response depending on the situation. Sometimes, a situation requires urgent action while others need a thought over and introspective action. He should be able to use the diversity of his team to his advantage.

P2 – That is an obvious quality for HR managers. How do you fit in? (was trying to grill maybe)

PM -  Sir, I have been able to work with people from different nationalities in Japan and Harvard, and have been able to change my working pattern depending on the situation.

P1 – But you were not responsible for their performance right?

PM – Sir, at the end of the 10 day program in Japan, I was voted by my delegation to present a report of their learning,  on behalf of the team, at the Indian embassy in Tokyo. My report was translated into Japanese and assimilated in official records.

P1 – So you are a fresher. Why do you not want to try a core field, or even other fields of management like marketing, finance etc? Why restrict to HR directly after college?

PM – Sir, actually I have pursued an internship in core at BARC (which is just next to TISS, Mumbai so I used the abbreviation), an internship in marketing at IIM – Ahmedabad and an internship in HR. I enjoyed the HR internship the most, and that is what really interests me.

P1 – Smiles and says – do you not sleep at night? When do you find the time to do all this? Japan, Harvard, all these interns and research paper?

PM – Sir Japan was after Class 10, so that was before college. BARC and the HR internship was during 2 month ling summer break after 2nd and 3rd year, and for Harvard my HoD was kind enough to grant me a week long leave from college. J
P1 – Hahaha alright. Do any one of you want to ask her anything? (looks at P2 and P3)

P3 – yes. You spoke about the airlines case study. So can you tell me what impact these changes in aviation industry have?

PM – Mam, they impact various spheres. First direct impact is on the economy, as is the recent case of Kingfisher airlines

P3 – No, no I do not want a specific impact, tell me about the social impact

PM – Mam there are 2 major impacts. First, due to privatisation, air travel has now become accessible even to middle class Indians. Earlier air travel was perceived as an upper class luxury. Apart from that it has opened up jobs, for example my house-maid’s daughter is working with Air India, which is a great jump for her family.

P3 kept on nodding and smiling.

P1 – Okay Palak, that’s all ! Thank you.

I was smiling about the last “Don’t you sleep” comment for long after I walked out J

My profile – I have been interested in HR since my 2nd year of BTech, hence my profile was aligned with it. I have published a research paper in Organizational Behavior and pursued an internship in HR.

Details of my profile can be found on –
    2)    LinkedIn profile - https://in.linkedin.com/in/palakmarwah
    3)    You can reach me on marwahpalak1@gmail.com for any queries J

Overall score 82/100 (TISSNET)
                             41/50 (PIT) the written test and GD – 30% weightage
                             65/75 (PI) – 30% weightage

The first column is score, the second is percentile of XAT GK 2016.









Total score – 83.40 Even though the institute does not explicitly mention that the converts’ list is in order of merit, my name is the first on the list J


Scoring around 80-85 in TISSNET is a safe bet. This would give you an edge in the final selection as TISSNET has 40% weightage at the end. 

Some links you might want to see from courses I create - 
1) Courses on Unacademy - https://unacademy.com/user/marwahpalak1
2) Courses on CareerAnna - http://www.careeranna.com/online/members/palak-marwah/


Important links to refer –
    1)    gktoday - http://www.gktoday.in/ - for monthly current affairs’ capsule
    2)    www.indiabix.com – my favorite for revision of all sections
    3)    www.peoplematters.in – HR Current affairs
    4)    Free mocks on testfunda, bullseye and a few other websites.
    5)    TIME paid account has mocks
    6)    Mocks from official TISS website

A little personal note – In XAT GK, a week before TISS, my percentile is 28.149 percentile and in TISS GK at least 30/40 questions were correct.

My teachers had been telling me all along that I have a fair chance to be shortlisted for S.P. Jain profile based interview call and I had begun to believe it. Exactly one day before TISS, the S.P.Jain shortlist came out and I was rejected. The same day CAT results came out and it wasn’t as good as I had expected. Rather I believed I would not get any calls at all. All this 24 hours before TISSNET.

They say the night is darkest before dawn, I guess as difficult as it might seem to believe it, this is true. I had truly lost hope and thought I will have to take a drop year, something I never wanted to do. But turns out there were better plans for me. I will be joining IIM Bangalore for PGP 2016-18 this June J
I would specifically like to thank ARKS Srinivas Sir and VistaMind. He has been the force behind all my converts. Archit Chandak was the guy who gave me a great pep talk a night before TISSNET because I had lost all hope due to SPJain and CAT. Also the friends that I made over TISS prep who have helped me a lot with GK Aratrika, Maanushi, Dr. Avhad, Shiladitya, Pratik, Akshaya and so many others J

Thank you! J

77 comments:

  1. Hello Palak ,Ameya Dani here



    being curious hv a question,how Do you Do all This.. :'( ?? Would you like to give credit to ur Various kind of book reading that you are doing since long ?

    I really wonder how you get time for all this stuff I mean daily routine + studies + friendzone+reading



    ANY TIPS ? You can text me wherever possible here or whatsapp or any other platform..

    hihi gk material is helpful ..

    and yes thanks for sharing your experience with TISS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont know Ameya ! I am addicted to keeping myself busy :)

      Delete
    2. Thank You so much for this update :)

      Delete
    3. Dear Palak,

      I have send you my query email. Request you to kindly reply please

      Delete
    4. HI,

      Your dropbox seems unavailable..could you please the link on shettymanasa95@gmail.com ..

      Thanks,
      Manasa

      Delete
  2. Thank u so much @Palak_Marwah for sharing ur experience in a very detailed manner! :-)
    Best wishes for ur future!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shreyash! Best wishes to you as well! :)

      Delete
  3. If your CAT score wasn't good as you expected ,then how come you are joining IIM B in june..? Anyway congrats.. Your profile is simply Inspiring.. All those internships..Hardward, BARC, Japan and IIM A.. Seriously?? Awesome profile..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you plz share urr specific answer why HR??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Krishna! The reason I have not shared it is that it should be your OWN story, not derived from other places. It just told my story on how I discovered the HR field and tried it out in internships, ended up liking it. Keep it simple :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Palak, do you have an active goodreads account? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Palak,Aarti here.Like you i am also passionate about HR.Can i ask where you have been placed from TISS?


      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the detailed info..
    You had focus and hr related achievements which added to your selection chances.. What do you suggest to the people who don't have such accomplishments yet and are taking a year drop for tiss prep..

    Regards :)
    Manish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too small to advice Manish :) But as per my understanding, in the drop year you can take a part time HR intern or courses on HR from coursera.org to prove your interest in the interview. All the best :)

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well-done dear.
    And best part is your sharing...keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello palak this is is mohit here. cvan you just throw a light on syllabus of each topic especially quant di and lr. thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is there on the official TISS website :)

      Delete
  12. Hi palak! Thank you for sharing your experience... it's really helpful for people trying to get into tiss. I wanted to ask that what are my chances of getting an admission into tiss if i don't have any experience of interning. I'll be graduating in 2017 and plan to appear for tissnet and various itger entrances. Being a very shy and a little underconfidant...i admit that i haven't participated much in social or extra curricular activities. I'm not exceptionally smart but am trying my best at excelling in academics. I'm sorry i don't mean to pile on but I'm really concerned about not getting admission in tiss(1st pref) or any reputed b school... would be great if gave your opinion. Thanks and all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey :) I dont think anyone else but you thinks that you are underconfident. I am sure you are pretty exceptionally smart. You just need to focus on what you want to do and how you want to do it. If you want to get into TISS or any B-school, find out what all they are looking for in a candidate and build it in you. I am sure you can do it :) All the best!

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hiee palak..For 2017 Tiss net barely 4 months are there for the exam and I have not started it yet..Could you suggest me some tips from where should I start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the tips that I know are in the blog. I started 2 weeks before TISSNET. Dont worry you can do it :)

      Delete
  15. Are HR current affairs important for TISSNET?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are. My year had equal weightage to Current and static GK

      Delete
  16. Can you suggest some books for HR before going for gd/pi ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suggest pick up any bestselling book from Goodreads. one book is enough to give you content to talk about. The book I read was a very random book I picked up at a book sale which sells books by the KG. :)

      Delete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How much did u score in cat, which opened the doors of iim banglore?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, This is very inspiring and informative indeed.
    I am curious that how you managed to do HR Internship specifically? I am intresred in one.
    Looking forward if you can help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Palak , i am a b.com graduate and at present doing m.com(distance) i would like to know is there any chance for fresher like me pursing HR & LR AT TISS MUMBAI. Because i have gone through your profile which is really impressive and i know i don't have 1% of it.
    please help!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone needs to have their own profile and their own story. Work experience is not make or break. Give it a shot :)

      Delete
  21. kindly suggest some HR books to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can you please tel me when will the TISSNET 2018 Registration forms will be going to announce. Please send me the complete schedule for the exams and councelling for the same.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Palak,

    This has been the best blog i have gone through till date! All the very best for your future :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Palak,
    Thanks for your inputs and experience sharing..It's really helpful. But can you tell, whether it is really mandatory to have a HR specific profile and background to crack PI for TISS? I am an IT guy with 2.5 yrs of exp opting for TISSNET 2018. Please suggest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, its not mandatory. Having a genuine interest and a reason for the interest is enough!

      Delete
  25. Hey. I am going to appear for TISSNET and XAT 2018. The GK material that you shared, would that be sufficient for the preparation of GK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For static yes. For current you have to refer to latest material :)

      Delete
  26. Hi Palak!! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
    I was wondering do you have any idea about the course Water Policy & Governance at TISS. The course cutoff and further selection process.
    Thank You!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for sharing your insights :) It would help me a lot and apart from this reading about your profile is very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Palak,

    Thanks for all of the efforts.

    I have a question.

    Where do you think people go wrong in the Group Discussion. Also, considering time is limited and everyone must speak, how many valid points do you think a candidate must make in the discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no magic number to valid points but you should make the discussion more enjoyable and valuable! What can go wrong is if you put someone down or cut someone midway or be rude thats all. Or if you dont speak at all! :)

      Delete
  29. Hey Palak..Thanks for the post first of all.

    I took a year drop, and did 2 HR internships in the drop year. One with a recruitment firm, other relating to organisation change. I feel this may be a differentiating factor between me and other candidates. I have a feeling that I will be definitely grilled more intensively than other candidates, especially on these topics. What is your take, considering you too had done an HR related internship prior to the entrance?

    How should I proceed for my PI prep keeping these things in mind?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Parth, Lets have a word on email - marwahpalak1@gmail.com

      Delete
  30. Can you please provide link for testfunda mocks. I couldn't find it.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hie
    Could you suggest few good books for HR which a lame like me could understand? Atleast basic may be

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You dont need to read HR books, thats what the course is for :)

      Delete
  32. Hi ma'am! This blog is extremely helpful. Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Palak...Does it make sense to go beyond the scope of the syllabus provided for TISSNET at their official website (it specifically mentions Tentative Topics). Like the present syllabus doesn't mention P&C, probability...

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, please dont go beyond the prescribed syllabus. There wont be questions on PnC, Probability, never has been :)

      Delete
  34. Any preparation tips for TISSBAT 2018??

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's really most important article, for more visit MBA admission in Nagpur.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Sir, I have approximate 8 Years ,HR interests me a lot and now interested to do mba . I am planning to attempt for tiss, my question since I have a high experience in other sector , would they prefer . I see they take most from fresher to max few 4 years

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you so much Ma'am for supporting us. I have to brush my all sections to crack HRM .........

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ma'am !
    Why is the dropboc link turned off?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Palak,
    Your Dropbox link is not working.

    ReplyDelete
  40. mam i want to crack tiss 2019 and i want to do prepration

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hello Palak,

    I think I've seen you on unacademy. My CAT went bad(80). All hopes I have is on tissnet. I'm scoring around 74-75 in TISSNET 19. Help me get through this WAT/GD/PI phase. I have good communication skills. I'm currently working in one of the service based IT giants. I have work ex of 1 year. What should I do convert TISS HR Mumbai. If you can help, please ping me on thohidthohid@gmail.com. If you help me in conversion, you will be remembered for a lifetime.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Dear Palak,
    Thank you for such an informative blog, however the dropbox link isn't opening.
    please help

    ReplyDelete
  43. Is careeranna's gk gourse enough to ace the gk gk section in tissnet ?

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hello Palak,

    Another TISS, HRM aspirant here. Thank you for such an informative article. A very random question of mine a bit not related to the article is that can you throw some light on the fact that is there a good chance for a fresher to join TISS, HRM without any prior industry exposure? or are the chances of happening so are drastically low?

    ReplyDelete
  45. Does it affects my selection for HRM if i'm a fresher with no work experience related to HR or any prior NGO experience?

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Palak, the Dropbox link is not working anymore?

    ReplyDelete